Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Dates / Deadlines:

There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Program Information:
image combo
  Location   Stockholm, Sweden
  Eligibility   Declared CSE majors only
  Language   English
  Adviser  CSE Adviser
  Application   Deadline   January 15
  Department   Website   CSE-KTH exchange site

  Students will take part in a semester long
  exchange through the UW CSE department.
  Classes at KTH will be conducted in English,
  although students will have chances to learn
Ideally, students will finish some of
  the required 300-level CSE courses, visit
  KTH during their junior year, then return to
  UW for the final senior requirements.
  However, an exchange during senior year is
  also possible. 
Strong candidates
  show personal preparation, including
  responsibility, maturity,
  and motivation to study abroad

  CSE majors interested in visiting KTH should
  read through t
he general info on CSE
, speak with a CSE  advisor, and
  attend the annual info session on CSE
  exchanges.  More detailed information about
  the KTH exchange can be found
  Where You Will Study
  Expenses, Financial Aid, & Scholarships
  Application Process


Where You Will Study

Founded in 1827, KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm is the largest and oldest technical university in Sweden.  One-third of Sweden's technical reasearch and engineering education at the university level is provided by KTH. KTH has partnered with the UW CSE program to allow up to two CSE undergraduates to travel and study in Sweden for either one semester or a full academic year.


Program Expenses, Financial Aid & Scholarships

As a participant of a university exchange, you pay an exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition (1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges, and 3 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges). Exchange fees are determined by UW residency status: in-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to in-state tuition, and out-of-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to out-of-state tuition. The exchange fee and IPE administrative fee are charged to your UW account and due by the UW tuition deadline for your term(s) of study abroad. You should also budget for additional expenses such as international airfare & transportation, books & course materials, visa & passport fees, study abroad insurance and personal expenses.

Students should visit the KTH accomodations page for more information about housing costs.

For the total estimated costs of this particular program, you may request a budget by filling out a Budget Request Form.

For more information about budgeting, financial aid, and scholarships for study abroad visit our page on Finances.


Application Process

Departmental Exchanges generally focus on a specific academic discipline and often restrict participation to students in that department.  Applications and student selection for Departmental Exchanges are managed by the UW academic department, but students participating in Departmental Exchanges work with the UW Study Abroad Office to complete the same pre-departure requirements as other UW study abroad students.

If you are interested in a Departmental Exchange, contact the department coordinator listed above for information, application instructions and deadlines.  

Most application deadlines occur 6-8 months in advance of an exchange start date, so contact your department early.

Full-year exchange is encouraged, but single semester exchange is possible. Space is limited; students must apply through CSE and be selected. Students should plan primarily for senior/masters-level computer science & engineering courses abroad.

See the CSE website for additional information about the application process.

See Withdrawal for UW program withdrawal policies.