Wake up to the sound of howler monkeys at our unique biological station, on the doorstep of the 57,000-acre Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. Your classroom? Cloud forest treetops, sandy beaches, lush rain forests – all ideal for rigorous study of the incredibly diverse ecosystems of Costa Rica. Your summer adventure includes travel throughout the country, a strong boost for your Spanish language skills, a chance to carry out your own independent research project, and a satisfying taste of life in rural Costa Rica.
CAMP AND HIKE
through rain forests, dry forests, mangroves, beaches and more, as you explore protected natural areas.
PUT NEW SKILLS INTO PRACTICE
as you complete an independent research project that gives you an in-depth look at a favorite creature or plant, on a topic that fascinates you.
LIVE LIKE A LOCAL
during a three-week homestay.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore a lush lowland rain forest in Corcovado National Park, where inhabitants include white-crowned parrots, two-toed sloths, coatimundi, white-faced monkeys, and more.
- Explore a dry forest recognized for its study of regeneration in Santa Rose National Park.
- Visit Carara National Park, near the Pacific coast, home of the country's largest groups of scarlet macaws.
- See towering Arenal volcano. Dormant for some time, the surrounding park is home to some 850 species of birds and more.
Put your skills to work on an independent research project in tropic ecology or conservation, from observation to a presentation of your findings. At every step, you'll be guided by an expert faculty advisor. Past projects have explored beetle habitats, hummingbird habits, and the prey of cane toads.
View Student Research
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- A two-day orientation in San José to introduce students to Spanish culture, the academic program, and surroundings, plus practical information about living in Costa Rica
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host country
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us