Take your arts and sciences studies a step further in a city that radiates light and energy (along with anime, Godzilla, and Hello Kitty). The prestigious Sophia University is CIEE’s partner school and your host for coursework in English on anthropology, art history, cultural studies, history, international business and economics, linguistics, literature, political science, and religion and philosophy. While taking your courses in the heart of fascinating, sprawling, and densely populated Tokyo, it’s easy to immerse yourself in the culture and language. Opportunities to volunteer in the community further enriches the experience. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
TAKE GIANT STEPS
in your Japanese language skill, with classes at your level, from pure beginner or nearly fluent.
TAKE THE BULLET TRAIN
to explore Hiroshima’s famous Peace Memorial Museum and see firsthand, the impact of the world’s first atomic bomb.
and lasting friendships – with Japanese students.
A city like no other, Tokyo is all about what’s new. With a population of more than 13 million people, it’s crowded, but it’s also super clean and safe. See how limited space has been maximized in ingenious ways and enjoy an astounding variety of shopping options and entertainment. In Tokyo, every customer gets the royal treatment from helpful clerks, trains run on time, and pockets of nature as well as throwbacks to times gone by are easy to find.
Excursions & Activities
- Take a weekend trip to Hiroshima, where peace memorials, Peace Institute discussions, and bomb survivor stories bring history to life.
- Visit the island of Miyajima, where a Shinto torii gate seems to float on water.
- Find your Zen in an authentic garden of the same name.
- Get involved in campus life by joining a club at Sophia University.
- Academic-year students take an additional weekend to discover other regions like Sendai, Kansai or Inuyama , practicing the language while they explore.
- Choose from a range of group cultural activities – there’s always more to see and do.
- Volunteering:Just ask our team for suggestions, or perhaps you can find your own gig: helping at a local school; collecting food for homeless people, or offering support to disabled youth.
- Cultural Reimbursement: Take advantage! We’ll reimburse you for the cost of attending Japanese movies, traditional music concerts, or theater performances, as well as visits to museums and sites.
- Internships: We are happy to assist you with ideas for non-credit opportunities.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Japanese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.