Take your beginner, intermediate, or advanced Russian language skills to a new level while you explore glorious St. Petersburg. With inspiring sites, rigorous coursework, homestays, and the help of Russian peers, you’re sure to make rapid progress. Courses are taught in Russian at CIEE’s partner school, St. Petersburg State University, and complemented with co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.
MOVE YOUR BEGINNING,
intermediate, or advanced Russian skills ahead in a city so spectacular that its entire downtown is a UNESCO heritage site.
to Moscow and Novgorod for a broader view of Russian culture.
by living with a Russian family.
Peter the Great’s vision of St. Petersburg as a “Window to the West” was captured by French and Italian architects with golden palaces, pastel-colored mansions, and landscaped parks, gardens, and canals. With World War II and Stalinist repression in its rearview mirror, St. Petersburg is the cultural capital and most westernized city of Russia, and easy to navigate by foot and public transportation. The city’s many nicknames include Paris of the East, City of the Czars, City of Three Revolutions, and Venice of the North, but we’re quite sure you’ll call it fabulous.
Excursions & Activities
- Travel overnight to cosmopolitan Moscow, and Russian’s oldest city, Novgorod to explore highlights and enjoy time on your own.
- Explore St. Petersburg highlights like the Hermitage, the Peter and Paul Fortress, Pushkin’s Apartment Museum, the Russian Museum, and the Russian bathhouse, and take a walking tour based on Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment.
- Attend a ballet, concert, a hockey or soccer game, and get a taste of Russian and Georgian cuisine with cooking classes.
- Get to know Russian peers with celebrations, sports events, cinema club meetings, Pub Quiz trivia nights, and more.
Join the alumni network of remarkable individuals who have studied in St. Petersburg with CIEE since 1967.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Three-day orientation – an introduction to Russian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.