Bring your Spanish or Portuguese skills to gorgeous Rio de Janeiro and master them! Dive into university life and immerse yourself in the Brazilian culture, history, art, and literature with fascinating coursework at CIEE Global Institute – Rio de Janeiro and CIEE’s partner school, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio). Courses are taught in English or Portuguese, across a range of subject areas, including art, business, economics, history, international relations, and social communications. Enrich the experience by volunteering and helping with education, health, or community building. Students agree to speak only Portuguese to encourage language and cultural acquisition. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR SEMESTER
with a program designed to help international students succeed.
LIVE AND LEARN
in one of the world’s most beautiful urban settings, and the epicenter of Latin America’s largest economy.
TAKE COURSES IN PORTUGUESE
and meet South American peers at Brazil’s top university.
Rio de Janeiro is all about living large. It’s the capital city of the State of Rio de Janeiro, the second largest city of Brazil, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America. The most visited city in the southern hemisphere, Rio is known for its natural beauty, Carnival celebrations, samba and other local musical styles, and renowned beaches. Rio’s iconic landmarks include the giant statue of Christ the Redeemer atop Corcovado Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, and Maracanã stadium, one of the world's largest soccer stadiums.
Excursions & Activities
- Explore Rio and get insider insight into its museums, neighborhoods and more.
- Take a study tour and discover the great diversity of Brazil.
- See why Brazilians are mad for football (soccer) with a live match, take drumming lessons in a favela, or soak up similar experiences that bring Brazilian culture to life.
- Immerse yourself in Rio’s rich and diverse arts culture.
- Be part of campus life by joining extracurricular and cultural activities.
- Volunteering: In a country known for urban poverty, you’ll gain as much as you give, helping with education, health, or community building. Teach English to underserved children, foster professional skills in women, and much more.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Brazilian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time Program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 Emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.