This seaside city lies along the south coast of Australia and is known for its expansive beaches and some of the region’s finest natural scenery. Dive into university life with cutting-edge courses at CIEE’s world-class partner school, University of Wollongong. Students select from an impressive list of courses in arts, commerce, creative arts, education, engineering, health and behavioral sciences, informatics, law, and science. Pre-med and nursing students can fulfill major requirements with health policy, nursing, chemistry, and biology courses. Opportunities to immerse yourself in the community and learn about the indigenous population further enriches this program. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
EXPLORE THE SOUTH COAST
during an epic three-day trip to get close to kangaroos and wallabies, and get a rare introduction to aboriginal culture.
STUDY ON A FRIENDLY, BEAUTIFUL BEACH-TOWN CAMPUS
in easy reach of Sydney.
MAXIMIZE LEARNING BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
with the help of staff with advanced degrees in experiential education.
On the coast with a dramatic hilly backdrop, Wollongong has superb access to some of the region’s finest natural scenery. Still, you’re not in the sticks. Australia’s tenth-largest city is a cosmopolitan place with lively nightlife, theaters, cinemas, art galleries, and multicultural restaurants. When you need something bigger, Sydney is just an hour-and-half away by train.
Excursions & Activities
- Hike and rappel in the World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains, where you’ll see scenic waterfalls and some of the more than 400 different creatures that live here.
- Get your toes wet with a surfing lessons or watch an Australian Football League or Aussie Rules match.
- Hike a sacred mountain with an insightful aboriginal guide, stay in beachfront cabins surrounded by a stunning national park – it’s all part of a blockbuster three-day excursion to the New South Wales coast.
- Look for kangaroos, lizards, and wallabies with insights from an Australian bush naturalist, and spot dolphins and whales offshore.
Internships. We’re happy to help you find an internship that provide hands-on professional experience, but options are limited, so speak up soon!
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.