This summer learn Portuguese where the action is – Rio de Janeiro! Whether you’re just starting out or have strong language skills, you’ll make impressive strides by taking intensive language courses at one of five levels and living with a Brazilian family. Courses are held at CIEE’s partner school, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), and all courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
SET YOURSELF UP
for a successful semester at a Brazilian university.
your language skills with an intensive course designed for international students.
in one the world’s most beautiful urban settings, and the epicenter of Latin America’s largest, fastest-growing economy.
Rio de Janeiro is all about living large. It’s the capital city of the State of Rio de Janeiro, the second largest city of Brazil, and the third largest metropolitan area in South America. The most visited city in the southern hemisphere, Rio is known for its natural beauty, Carnival celebrations, samba, Bossa Nova, and renowned beaches. Rio’s iconic landmarks include the giant statue of Christ the Redeemer atop Corcovado Mountain, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, and Maracanã stadium, one of the world's largest football stadiums.
Excursions & Activities
Activities vary but could include these and more:
- Catching facts tourists often miss on a guided tour of the city.
- Exploring national museums and historic neighborhoods.
- Attending a soccer match to see why Brazilians are mad for football.
- Experiencing Rio’s rich and diverse arts culture during festivals.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Brazilian culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.