CIEE Global Internship programs are built for you based on your academic focus and career goals. Every CIEE location offers a wide range of internship opportunities across a diverse set of industries. Once you apply, we work directly with you to find an internship that suits your unique needs and professional goals. Learn more about our personalized placement process!
Shanghai is a commercial giant, a financial and cultural hub, and home to the largest container port on Earth. Translation: there’s no better place to expand your business knowledge from a global perspective. Learn about business ethics, corporate structure, fiscal policies, and the importance of skills like integrity and collaboration - while developing contacts that can help with future career opportunities.
IMPROVE YOUR CHINESE
Language proficiency and business vocabulary
EXPAND YOUR NETWORK
Alongside professionals at Chinese companies, multinationals, or NGOs
EXPLORE THE ARTS SCENE
Trips to local galleries, museums, concerts, and theater performances
Shanghai is a model city and leading driver of China's trade and economic development. Today, with a population of 23 million, Shanghai is home to the world’s largest container port, some of the tallest skyscrapers on Earth, and the world’s first commercially operated magnetic levitation transport system - the high-speed Maglev train - along with one of the fastest-growing rapid transit systems in the world.
Excursions & Activities
- Step back in time with a visit to a traditional water town, Zhujiajiao, noted for its narrow, cobbled lanes, stone bridges, canals, and rich history
- Take trips to Sam’s Club Shanghai, IKEA Shanghai, or Shanghai 1933
- Explore tea houses, museums, and local community centers to practice speaking Chinese with local people
- Try Chinese cooking, calligraphy, or martial arts
- Refine your resume and interviewing skills for the local business culture
- Explore the professional working world of Shanghai through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Orientation – an introduction to Chinese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.