Shanghai is a commercial giant, a financial and cultural hub, and home to the largest container port on Earth. Translation: there’s no better place to expand your business knowledge from a global perspective. Learn about business ethics, corporate structure, fiscal policies,, and the importance of skills like integrity and collaboration — while developing contacts that can help with future career opportunities.
IMPROVE YOUR CHINESE LANGUAGE
proficiency and business vocabulary.
EXPAND YOUR NETWORK
alongside professionals at Chinese companies, multinationals, or NGOs.
DISCOVER ANOTHER SIDE OF CHINA
on a weekend field trip to Nanjing.
Excursions & Activities
- Step back in time with a visit to the traditional water towns Zhujiajiao, noted for its narrow, cobbled lanes, stone bridges, canals, and rich history.
- Choose a weekend away to learn more about cultures in different regions of China.
- Destinations might include:
- Historic Xi’an – Explore the ancient capital city at the western end of the SilkRoad, and burial place of China’s first emperor.
- Beijing – See the Forbidden City and the awesome Great Wall with a visit to the modern capital.
- Huangshan – See majestic Yellow Mountain in southern Anhui Province, and visit Hongcun Village, where the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was filmed.
- Take trips to Sam’s Club Shanghai, IKEA Shanghai, or Shanghai 1933.
- Stop by tea houses, museums, and local community centers to practice speaking Chinese with local people.
- Try activities like Chinese cooking, calligraphy, or martial arts.
- Peer-to-peer tutoring. Meet with East China Normal University students for structured, one-on-one Chinese language tutorials for a minimum of one hour, twice weekly. Tutors are undergraduate or graduate students who are majoring in teaching Chinese as a foreign language.
- Internship. The CIEE Internship course is composed of on-site work with a local business or NGO, an accompanying internship seminar, and one-on-one mentoring.
Study abroad students participating in the Organizational Internship course will be assigned to an internship project with a company in Shanghai. The internship sponsors, which vary each term depending on participating organizations and available positions, may include local Chinese companies and multinational companies, as well as international small- and medium-sized enterprises and nonprofit organizations. Course curriculum includes class introduction, placement interview, coached work, and final presentation to earn three academic credits. See the courses section for more detail. Students enrolling in the internship course/program are required by Chinese law to change his/her issued student visa to a “Residence Permit” once on site, in order to legally pursue an internship in China. The application process for a residence permit includes: approval from Chinese host institution, East China Normal University, a physical exam at a designated clinic in Shanghai, and a visa-change application to the Chinese authorities. Fees associated with this process are estimated to be $150 USD. Students pursuing the internship are responsible for paying this fee.
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Shanghai culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us