Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Dates / Deadlines:

There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Program Information:
sociology italy
  Location   Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
  Autumn Semester / Spring Semester
  Academic Year
  Credits   20-25 UW credits per semester
  Eligibility   Junior standing or above by time of  
  departure; min. 3.0 GPA
  Language   Instruction in English and Japanese
  Adviser   Shannon Quinn |
  November 15 
  (Priority for autumn semester and academic year)

  May 15 (Spring Semester)
  General   This exchange is open to UW graduate and
  undergraduate students from all disciplines.
  Students will have the chance to fully immerse
  themselves in Japanese culture and
  student life.
  Where You Will Study
  Expenses, Financial Aid, & Scholarships
  Application Process


Where You Will Study

Hokkaido University is one of the top universities in Japan. Established in 1876, it follows the philosophies of "Frontier Spirit," "Global Perspectives," "All-round Education," and "Practical Learning." Its population of 11,000 undergraduate students and 3,500 graduate students is dispersed over two campuses: one in Sapporo, and the other in Hakodate. The large main campus is widely viewed as the most beautiful campus in Japan.

Sapporo is the fourth-largest city in Japan and the largest city on the island of Hokkaido. The birthpace of miso ramen and home to historical sites such as the Miaynomori Art Museum and the Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo is an ideal city to immerse yourself in Japanese culture and student life.

To learn more about Hokkaido University, check out this fun interactive map!



Hokkaido University offers the unique opportunity for exchange students to take classes in English in the fields of Culture and Society, Environment, Science and Technology through the Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP). This program also allows students to take Japanese language courses, pursue independent research with a faculty member, and take part in numerous traditional and contemporary Japanese cultural activities.

This program is competitive: only about 50 students are accepted by Hokkaido each year. Students admitted to the program are eligible to apply for a scholarship. Japanese language ability is not required to participate in HUSTEP.

Students majoring in Japanese language and culture should apply for the Japanese Language and Culture Studies Program (JLCSP). The JLCSP is the leading course of its kind in Japan and caters to different skill levels from intermediate to advanced Japanese. Students can choose courses from the English curriculum or courses from the standard curriculum taken by Japanese students. This program is ideal for students who want to deepen their understanding of a particular field of study or augment their business Japanese. 

The objectives of the JLCSP program are:
  • To improve students' Japanese language proficiency to enable them to interact with Japanese speakers and conduct research in Japanese;
  • To acquire basic knowledge and methodologies for Japanese studies--particularly relating to Japanese general and applied linguistics;
  • To gain a deeper understanding of both Japanese language and culture. In the second semester of the program (April - August) of the one year program, students can study a research topic in their field of specialty and complete a final report under the guidance of a supervisor.
The JLCSP program consists of three types of courses: courses in Japanese language; courses in Japanese linguistics, culture, and society; and independent study in the students' field of specialty including a final report.

The JLCSP program is also competitive: only 40 total students are accepted for the one year program, and 20 students are accepted for each half year.

If you’re looking for a record of how courses from this institution have been transferred in the past, visit the credit equivalency database to help you determine what foreign courses might satisfy your academic needs here at the UW.

For more information on how these courses will appear on your UW transcript, please visit: credits for exchanges



Hokkaido University offers dormitory accommodations near campus.

Futher housing and living information


Program Expenses, Financial Aid & Scholarships

As a participant of a university exchange, you pay an exchange fee equivalent to UW tuition (1.5 quarters of UW tuition for semester-long exchanges, and 3 quarters of UW tuition for academic year exchanges). Exchange fees are determined by UW residency status: in-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to in-state tuition, and out-of-state students pay an exchange fee equivalent to out-of-state tuition. The exchange fee and UW Study Abroad fee are charged to your UW account and due by the UW tuition deadline for your term(s) of study abroad. You should also budget for additional expenses such as international airfare & transportation, books & course materials, visa & passport fees, study abroad insurance and personal expenses.

For the total estimated costs of this particular program, you may request a budget by filling out a Budget Request Form.

For more information about budgeting, financial aid, and scholarships for study abroad visit our page on Finances.


Application Process

To apply for this exchange, click the "Apply Now" button and follow the prompts to create an application. After you create your application, click on each of the links on your study abroad application homepage and complete the remaining application requirements: questionnaires, material submissions, and electronic signature documents.

University exchanges may also require completion of a secondary application specific to the host institution. Instructions about this process will be provided to you by your study abroad adviser following your selection for the exchange.

See Applications and Recommendations for additional information about the application process and tips for recommendations.

See Withdrawal for UW program withdrawal policies.