Live on the edge of the world famous Monteverde cloud forest, while exploring sustainable economic development (Session II), and ecological engineering (Session III). There’s no better setting to study these topics than in Costa Rica, a little country with a big reputation for protecting the environment, harnessing renewable energies, and creating secure food systems. You’ll discover many treasures during your time abroad in this special country as you explore sustainable fisheries, tourism, conservation, agriculture, or renewable energy.
to farms, island communities, protected areas, renewable power plants, and more.
ATTEND CLASSES IN
Sustainable Development (Session II), or Environmental Engineering (Session III).
LIVE WITH A LOCAL FAMILY,
advance your Spanish skills, and integrate into Costa Rican culture.
Perhaps best known for the famed Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, this small, international community nestled along the edge of the cloud forest in the Tilarán Mountains is a portal to a lush haven of biodiversity. Today, tourists contribute the principal revenues to the zone, though coffee plantations and dairy farms still dot the landscape. The region, comprising numerous small towns, is home to about 5,000 people of diverse backgrounds.
Excursions & Activities
Visit fishing communities on the island of Chira, where locals are leaders in the sustainable fishing industry.
Get inside access to local decision-makers, business owners, and leaders, for hands-on training in sustainability practices in ecotourism, agriculture, and energy production.
- Try local foods produced on the farms where they are grown.
Help design or manage farm production and waste; contribute to conversations and deliberations on integrated conservation and economic development projects.
- Advising before departure to set goals & answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Costa Rica culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.